I am fixing up one for a Vectrix owner and restoring one myself.
This is the first one up on the 'hoist' aka old wire basket frame.
This C5 needed and still needs a few things done to it.
Here are the repairs I did yesterday:
- Remove RH rear wheel and found the bearing cone was on backwards, and it also needs a lock nut. There was a rusty stain in the hub cap cover so I am guessing it had fallen off and had been resting there. I need to acquire a lock nut. It turns out to be 1/2" UNF
- LH Drive sprocket is cracked, but still functional. Need to locate a replacement at some point.
- Light and indicator switch brackets are very rusty. There might be enough of them left to strip them and re-paint.
- There are rust stains on the plastic in places. I need to locate a suitable cleaner that will be OK on the plastic.
- The front wheel brake calliper was very loose, and the pads worn. I tightened the calliper bolt and lock nut and replaced the pads. All working well now.
- The RH front indicator is has the top broken off. There might be a spare with the owner.
- The chain was quite rusty, but some oil sorted that out in short order. It now runs smoothly.
- The LED Instrument panel is missing. There may be a spare with the owner. Thanks to the schematic diagrams on C5Alive I have been able to get the motor running by inserting a wire jumper into the instrument panel socket bridging pins 1 and 7. The pin arrangement is [1B34567890]. B is a locating pin. 0 is pin 10. This connected +5v to the relay drive transistor.
- Both rear view mirrors were supplied with the C5 however the bolts were rusty and the plastic shear pins had... well... sheared. I drilled the location where the shear pins were located and inserted some screws. I will get some 3mm plastic screws so the they can shear if the mirrors get knocked.
- To run the C5 under battery power, it needs either factory battery covers, or a replacement arrangement all together. I will look at LiFePo4 options.
- RH Wheel lock nut - Done - Sourced from a council cleanup bike
- Front Indicator light reassembly or replacement. - Land Rover Indicators installed
- LED Instrument panel or replacement with Cycleanalyst or similar. - Swapped from #2
- Install plastic shear pins on the mirrors.- Installed stainless screws
- Purchase misc. stainless steel nuts bolts and screws to replaced rusted. - Done
- Replace damaged and missing decals. Available from C5Alive - Done with spares on hand
- Rust kill and paint switch brackets - Swapped from #2
- Replace cracked headlight lens.- Swapped from #2
- High Vis Rubbers from Chas - Not really reqired
- Replaced front wheel with Aloy/Steel wheel.
|RH wheel removed showing the drum brake assembly.|
|RH wheel reassembled. Missing lock nut.|
|The rear of the C5 with the boot (trunk) removed.|
|Drive sprocket. Note the cracks. Might need replacing in the not too distant future.|
|LH Axel and gearbox.|
|Indicator Switch + rusty bracket|
|Light switch + rusty bracket|
|Terminals of control box.|